Moving & Packing Plan:
Preparing the Children: What to Do In Advance:
- Talk to your children about the move and share your excitement for your new home. Show them their new rooms, where the bathroom, kitchen and your bedroom are located.
- Introduce them to any neighborhood children around the same age. Show them their new school, playground, parks and zoos in the area.
- Keep to your normal routine and get them involved in the packing and planning when appropriate.
- Let them decide what toys, stuffed animals, blankets, and books they want to leave out. Consider having them pick out a new toy that will be saved until the day of the move. Let them decide what they want to wear for this special moving day.
- Encourage your children to communicate their feelings and thoughts about the move and explain why you are moving.
Six Weeks In Advance :
- Call Princeton Van Service to schedule your moving day.
- Decide what you want to move and what items you want to put in storage, give away, donate to a charity, sell or discard.
- Decide how much you want to pack and move and how much you will have us handle.
- Even if you plan to do the packing, you may want to have us pack your most fragile or valuable possessions.
- If you want to do some or all of the packing to get the process started, call Princeton Van Service. We will deliver the packing materials right to your door as needed. You will want to pack first those books, clothes and small appliances that you won't need for the next several weeks.
Four Weeks in Advance:
- Notify the post office, magazines and newspapers about your change of address.
- Notify friends and business associates.
- The post office can supply you with changes of address cards at no charge. Here are some of the people and firms you may need to notify of your move:
- Utility Companies - gas, water, electricity, phone, Fuel, sewer & trash companies, security companies, Cable company.
- Doctors, dentists, CPA, lawyers, brokers, insurance agent, Government & public offices
- Book, record and video clubs
- Health clubs
- Have a garage sale to dispose of any unwanted items.
- Use up canned and frozen food and don't stock up on large-sized items.
- Consider taking a video inventory of your possessions for insurance purposes.
Three Weeks in Advance:
- For large moves, our experienced packers may do the packing the day before the move. For smaller moves it will happen the same day.
- Be prepared to move valuables such as cash, credit cards, bonds, deeds, insurance paperwork, and birth certificates yourself.
- Pack a bag or box of those items that you will need:
- Your new keys
- Prescription medications
- Nonprescription medications
- Phone numbers
- Kitchen utensils
- Pet food and supplies
- Bath items: towels, tissues, soap, toilet paper, toothbrush & tooth paste.
- Cleaning supplies
- First aid kit
- Light bulbs
- Trash bags
- Toys & books.
- Remove all items from furniture.
- Wash all clothes before your appliances are disconnected.
- Empty and clean the refrigerator and freezer; and don't forget the defrost pan!